Knights finish with spring invitational

<rleton’s women’s golf team closed their regular season with a strong fourth-place finish at the UW-Eau Claire Spring Invitational. The Knights’ fourth-place showing was particularly impressive considering that the Knights were competing against second-ranked University of St. Thomas, fourth-ranked UW-Stevens Points, and 16th-ranked UW-Eau Claire. Coach Sieger’s team was lead by freshman phenom Laura Knutson who finished in third place by shooting a six-over par 79, which is just one shot off her best single-round score. For her efforts, Knutson was named MIAC Player of the Week. By shooting a 79, Knutson finished with the best scoring average (85.6) turned in by a Carleton freshman in school history.

Knutson was not the only Knight to post a strong score at the Bluegold Spring Invitational. Sophomore Katrina Wood fired an eight-over par 81, while her teammates Louise Buckler ’11 and Meghan Gajare ’11 finished their seasons by shooting 91 and 92, respectively. Wood’s season may not be over just yet. Wood will have her nerves tested, as she must wait until Monday, May 5th to learn whether she has earned a bid to the NCAA Championships at Waverly, Iowa on May 13-16. If Wood earns a bid, she will be the second female Carleton golfer to ever make the NCAA Championships, the first being Kassie Wells ’08, who earned a national invitation last year.

In many ways, last Sunday belonged to senior Sarah Ingebritsen. The UW-Eau Claire Spring Invitational was the final appearance for Ingebritsen. Throughout her four years, Ingebritsen has been constant and reliable player for the Knights. Moreover, in this past season, Ingebritsen left her mark on the Carleton program by leading a team with three freshmen to national prominence.

As a team, the Knights finished with a score of 343, which is one of the top 10 scores in school history. With this event, the Knights completed, arguably, the best season in the program’s history. In the same season, Coach Sieger’s team broke the 36-hole school record and tied the 18-hole school record. The team completed five of the best 12 18-hole rounds in school history. Even if Katrina Wood does not make it to the NCAA Championships, the future looks bright for Carleton’s Women’s Golf Team.