Baseball struggle through tough week

<rleton Knights just couldn’t seem to catch a break this week, getting swept in back-to-back series in four extremely close games. In Game 1 of Saturday’s doubleheader with Bethel, junior Ethan Guevin justified his position as the top-selling bobblehead in the conference with a spectacular complete game in which he struck out 8 star-struck Royals. Unfortunately, a 2-run Bethel third proved to be enough, as the Knights’ offense managed only two hits in support of their ace on their way to a 2-0 defeat.

Carleton’s bats came alive in Game 2 as the Knights put up 5 runs on 9 hits through the first 3 frames. Sophomore Dan Lojovich and junior Jay “Barry Bonds Minus the Steroids” Melson, who combined to go 5-for-7 with a pair of RBI and a run scored, sparked this outburst, but unfortunately their heroics fell just short. Bethel rallied to tie the score in the fifth, and their sixth inning run was the difference in the Knights’ 6-5 loss.

Despite the disappointing result, the Knights were given a huge boost for their upcoming games with the return of senior super-stud Doug Sylvester, who’s pinch hit in the second contest was his first action since being sidelined with a knee injury more than three weeks ago.

On Tuesday, the Knights traveled to St. Paul for a two-game series with Macalester. Usually known for their success in sports that involve extensive running and their support of anything anyone who attended Woodstock would have loved, the Scots have managed to assemble a respectable baseball team. This is probably in large part due to recruits who were duped by the school’s 2006 labeling of “America’s Hottest Liberal Arts College.” Who knew that you can’t trust everything you read?

Game 1 was relatively tame through the first four innings, with Carleton entering the fifth ahead 2-1. Before the next 6 outs were made, though, the Knights and Scots combined for 14 runs on 13 hits, 3 walks, a hit batter, and an error.

Carleton, up 10-1 at one point, entered the bottom of the seventh holding a 2-run lead. Macalester’s bases-loaded, walkoff triple finished off their rally, as well as the Knights, putting the final score at 12-11.

Key to their loss was the Knights’ 4 errors, which lead to 8 unearned runs, but offensive bright spots included sophomore Dan Mathews’ 4-for-4 performance and the extending of fantastic freshman Zack Miller’s hitting streak to 15 games. Stars Sylvester and Melson also did their part, combining to go 5-for-9 with 2 RBI and 3 runs scored. In Game 2, the Knights again started out strong, putting up a 4-0 lead after two innings. Unfortunately, Carleton was unable to get another hit until the final frame (Melson’s 6th homerun of the season), and the Scots came away with an 8-6 victory.

Be sure to check out the Knights on Saturday as they host cross-town rival St. Olaf, currently ranked number one in the conference in both popped collars and fake tans. It is also worth noting that pretty much everyone is sick of their fight song. The action starts at 1:00 PM with the first half of what is sure to be an exciting doubleheader.