Carleton frisbee team advances to regionals

< Carleton teams won the Northwoods Sectional tournament last weekend as four Carleton frisbee teams advanced to Regionals. Carleton’s two women’s teams – Syzygy and Eclipse – and two of the three men’s teams – GOP and CUT – will play this weekend in Decorah, Iowa on the campus of Luther College. CUT and Syzygy both ran the table to become Sectional champions. The top two teams in each division will advance to Nationals, taking place 7th weekend in Boulder, CO.

Syzygy made it through the weekend with ease, winning the section without much difficulty. No team was able to score more than three points against them all weekend. Syzygy captains Megan Molteni ’08 and Beth Mynar ’08 had great weekends, anchoring the team throughout pool play on Saturday and bracket play on Sunday.

Eclipse went three and seven on the weekend, with a win over Gustavus and two wins over Macalester. The first nine out of ten teams from the women’s division were granted a bid to Regionals. By finishing 8th, Eclipse was able to secure a bid to Decorah.

GOP won four out of their eight games, and lost close games to St. Johns and Winona State. On Sunday, GOP played St. Olaf for the sixth place game and last bid to Regionals. Strong play from captain Frank McNally ’09 and seniors Boris Scherbakov and John Heydinger carried GOP past St. Olaf, with 14-9 win.

CUT made it through their first day with ease, playing only three games and only being scored on seven times in the three games combined. Sunday’s play proved harder, with two relatively harder games including a 15-8 win over St. Johns in the semifinals. In the finals, CUT faced a tough game against University of Minnesota, but came out victorious 13-10. CUT will be seeded 2nd behind University of Wisconsin-Madison at Regionals.
Carleton, as the smallest school in the region, which includes Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas, is sending to most number of teams to Decorah this weekend. The Carleton teams plan on competing against these bigger schools and be earn bids to Nationals.