Men’s tennis team aces competition

<rleton’s Men’s Tennis team continued their hot streak from their spring break trip as they returned to action last Saturday to take on Central College and Coe College of the Iowa Interscholastic Athletic Conference. The Knights defeated Central College 8-1 early in the day and then defeated No 25 ranked Coe College 8-1 as well. The Knights are now 13-2 on the season as they return to conference play this weekend.

In both matches, Carleton swept the six singles events. Against Coe College, both Peter Varnum ’08 and Vince Heguy ’11 pulled out close three set tie-breaks at fourth and sixth singles respectively. First singles Colin Russell had a good day beating his opponents 6-2, 6-1, and 6-3, 6-1.

The Iowa matches came after the Knights spring break trip to Hilton Head, South Carolina, where the team went 3-2, defeating Oberlin, Wisconsin- Whitewater, and University of Sioux Falls, while losing to University of Chicago and DePauw University. Depauw is currently ranked No 14 in the nation, and Chicago is currently ranked 18th. The Knights also defeated University of Sioux Falls who is currently ranked 24th in the NAIA national rankings.

The match against Macalester scheduled for yesterday was postponed due to rain and will be made up next Monday, April 14. Tomorrow the Knights are scheduled to face one of the most important matches of the season, as they will take on the Gusties at Gustavus Adolphus, currently ranked 5th in the nation and tied with Carleton for first in the MIAC. A win would propel the Knights through their remaining regular season matches as they prepare for the MIAC Championships April 25-26.

The Knights are then scheduled to play St. John’s on Sunday. Baring any weather postponements this will mean three straight days of matches for the Knights, all against MIAC competition. The Knights will wrap up the regular season at the end of next week as they host St. Olaf, Hamline, and Concordia outside on the Bell Field Courts.