Some small gems of wisdom for Valentine’s Day

<e is an actual website that counts down the days left until Valentine’s Day. Today: “365 Days Left until Valentine’s Day.” http://www.history.com/minisites/valentine/

Approximately 80% of Valentine’s Day are purchased by women.

According to the Greeting Card Association, approximately 1 billion Valentine’s are sent each year.

About 3% of pet owners will give Valentine’s Day gifts to their pets.

Some people refer to Valentine’s Day as “Singles Awareness Day” (SAD) for reasons that should be self-explanatory.

Friedrich Schiller had an opinion about love and Valentine’s Day and is referenced in the “Valentine’s Day Love Quotes on the St. Valentine’s Day website: “Truth exists for the wise, beauty for the feeling heart.”

Phobias associated with Valentine’s Day:

Ereuthrophobia – Fear of blushing
Anthrophobia or Anthophobia – Fear of flowers.
Obligaphobia – Fear of commitment.
Zelophobia – Fear of jealousy.
Philophobia – Fear of falling in love or being in love.
Gamophobia – Fear of marriage.
Philemaphobia or Philematophobia – Fear of kissing.
Arotophobia – Fear of physical love.
Hedonophobia – Fear of any kind of pleasure or having fun.

According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first ‘valentine’ greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl –who may have been his jailor’s daughter — who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed ‘From your Valentine.’

Valentine’s Day Superstitions as reported by www.stvalentinesday.org

If you see a squirrel on Valentine’s Day, you will marry a cheapskate who will hoard all your money.
If you see a goldfinch on Valentine’s Day, you will marry a millionaire.
If you see a robin on Valentine’s Day, you will marry a crime fighter – maybe they mean Batman!
If you see a flock of doves on Valentine’s Day, you will have a happy, peaceful marriage.
If you find a glove on the road on Valentine’s Day, your future beloved will have the other missing glove.
If you see an owl on Valentine’s Day, you will remain a spinster.

According to these aforementioned sources, Valentine’s Day has a different effect on everyone. Some happily send their lover or pet a Valentine’s Day card. Some celebrate Singles Awareness Day (SAD). Others descend into a Valentine’s related panic. Bottom line: don’t take yourself so seriously. Instead, why not open up a box of chocolates and enjoy guilt free?