Congressional candidate Sarvi speaks

<nesday, Nov. 7, Democratic congressional candidate Steve Sarvi spoke at Carleton College about his current campaign. Sarvi is running against current Republican Representative John Kline in the 2008 Minnesota 2nd District Congressional election. Organized by the Carleton Democrats, the event focused on Sarvi’s campaign and how students can become involved in his campaign.

Sarvi, who is running for the U.S. Congress for the first time, has previously served as a city administrator in Lansboro, Victoria and Watertown, Minnesota, most recently serving as the Mayor of Watertown. A military veteran, Sarvi enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserve at age 17 and after completing his education at the University of Minnesota, served as an active soldier in the U.S. Army. In 1992, Sarvi retired from the Army as captain and subsequently enlisted in the Minnesota Army National guard in 1999, serving tours in Kosovo and Iraq. Sarvi did not declare his plans to run in the congressional election until October 2007, after he went on leave from military service.

The event, attended by around 30 students, lasted for about an hour, during which Sarvi discussed his campaign and ways students could get involved, including paid and non-paid internships. This was followed by a question and answer session.

During the event, Sarvi focused on the importance of listening to his constituents. His visit to Carleton is part of Sarvi’s “Listening Sessions” in which he is meeting with potential voters throughout Minnesota’s 2nd District. He also discussed some of his platforms such as a gradual troop withdrawal from Iraq, improved health care, environmental sustainability and good governance.

“Students had mixed responses. Some were very excited. A lot of people were interested in working for him. He’s not the most liberal candidate so some more liberal students were a little disappointed” said Pablo Kenney ‘09, President of the Carleton Democrats, describing Sarvi’s visit to Carleton. “The fact is that this is the 2nd Congressional District of Minnesota. It’s a very conservative district. He’s a perfect candidate, I think, for the district.”