Knight trio takes home MIAC post-season recognition

<rleton College junior forward Kent Hanson (St. Paul, Minn./St. Paul Academy) and senior guards Quinn Johnson (Roseville, Minn./Roseville) and Joh Farmer (Sr./Roseville, Minn./Roseville) garnered recognition as the MIAC Men’s Basketball coaches handed out their post-season awards.

Hanson is one of only six players to repeat as an All-MIAC selection in 2018-19. A total of 16 players were tabbed as All-MIAC performers, distributed among a first, second, and third team. After earning a spot on the first team in 2017-18, this time around Hanson was a second-team pick despite improving his statistics by averaging 19.2 points and 8.3 rebounds per contest. Those figures ranked third and fourth, respectively, among conference players in 2018-19. He totaled 10 double-doubles during the regular season, tied for tops among MIAC players.

Hanson finished with double-digit scoring totals in 23 of 25 games, including 10 contests with at least 20 points, and a season-best 32-point effort at UW-Eau Claire on Dec. 10. He reached the 1,000-point plateau during the Jan. 16 game at St. Olaf, becoming the first member of the MIAC Men’s Basketball class of 2020 to achieve that feat. He will enter his senior season with 1,203 career points, ranking 14th in Carleton history.

Johnson was voted to the five-player All-Defensive Team. Listed at 6 feet, 2 inches, Johnson drew the assignment of guarding the opposition’s top offensive threat in nearly every game, regardless of position. Carleton tied for second-best among MIAC squads this season after yielding only 68.6 points per game. With Johnson leading the way, the Knights held opponents at or under their season average in 19 of 25 games, including eight games holding foes more than 10 points below their season averages.

Johnson also paced the Knights in assists (2.8), finished second in rebounding (4.0) and steals (1.1), and was third in blocked shots. This was the sixth consecutive year that Carleton had a player selected to the All-Defensive Team, easily the longest active streak among MIAC programs.

As part of a conference-wide sportsmanship initiative, the conference announced the 13th annual All-MIAC Sportsmanship team for men’s basketball. Members of the sportsmanship team are selected by their coaches and teammates as individuals who demonstrate ideals of positive sportsmanship both on and off the field of competition. Farmer was Carleton’s representative on the squad. He appeared in 21 games, including 17 starts, and was second on the team in assists (2.0 per game) and paced the Knights with a 1.6 assist-to-turnover ratio.