Women’s swim and dive races past St. Ben’s in dual-meet action

<rleton College women’s swimming and diving team won 12 of the 16 events and defeated the College of Saint Benedict in a dual meet by a 189-108 tally. First-year Kapani Kirkland (Mendota Heights, Minn./Convent of the Visitation) set a new personal records in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving competitions with scores of 237.35 and 230.10, respectively.

Kirkland won the 1-meter event and earned the team’s “Can of Corn” Award.

“This by far was our best meet of the season in terms of the focus and intensity that both teams had,” said Carleton head coach Andy Clark. “We knew it would be a battle for both squads to pull out wins, and it was exciting to see them rise up and compete with a huge team mentality.

“We just had our hardest week of training since coming back (from Winter Break), and I know we had lots of tired bodies but this meet was exactly the type of challenge we needed. Lots of great racing. Meets like this aren’t always about setting PR’s but more about getting your hand on the wall first. But we had plenty of both, and I credit both squads for bringing in big energy and making every swim and dive count.”

Caroline Mather (Sr./Highlands Ranch, Colo./Mountain Vista) claimed first in three events: the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:01.36, the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 56.17, and the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 25.25.

Ada Meyer (Jr./Seattle, Wash./Ingraham) also found success in multiple events. She took first place in the 100-yard backstroke clocking in at 1:03.53 and first place in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:31.70.

Carleton will be back in the water on Saturday, January 26 as the Knights head across town to face St. Olaf College.