Women’s track and field begins season at Minnesota Open

<huda (Jr./Seattle, Wash./Roosevelt), Amanda Mosborg (So./Edina, Minn.), and Emma Greenlee (So./Aurora, Minn./Mesabi East) excelled in the one mile run, highlighting the top performances for the Carleton College women’s track and field team at the season-opening University of Minnesota Open on Saturday.

The trio of Schuda, Mosborg, and Greenlee went 3-4-5 in the mile run, which included 13 athletes from Division I and II programs. Schuda (5:23.72) just barely edged Mosborg (5:23.89) for third place, with Greenlee not far behind her fellow Knights (5:24.76).

In the 800-meter run, Elsa Sandeno (Sr./Bellingham, Wash./Sehome) earned fourth place with a time of 2:28.42. She was the top Division III finisher, as first, second, and third went to runners from the University of Minnesota, a D-I program.

Anna Grove (So./Morris, Minn./Morris Area) notched the fifth-best mark in the high jump, clearing 1.50 meters.

Mosborg and Greenlee also competed in the 3000-meter run, as the former took sixth place (10:28.19) and the latter seventh (10:32.48).

Other top-seven results for the Knights:

• Ineke Cordova made her Carleton debut and placed sixth in the 60-meter dash (8.56).

• Pentathlete Tonya Piergies claimed seventh place in the 60-meter hurdles (10.29)

• Sandeo, Eva Airoldi, Ineke Cordova, Emma Thomley, and Amy Kropp finished fourth in the 4×400-meter relay with a time of 4:29.97.

Carleton will look to build on its strong opening meet on Friday, Jan. 18 at home in the Carleton Triangular, which will begin at 5:30 p.m.