Invitation to celebrate the Hmong New Year

<r the past decade or so, the Hmong students from both sides of the river have creatively collaborated on a joint Hmong New Year. Traditionally, it has always been held at St. Olaf, perhaps because they have traditionally had a greater body of Hmong students and may have started the first one. However, last year was the first year that it was held at Carleton and it was a huge success, attracting people from the Northfield community, faculty and even their kids as well as folks from the Cities.

Our Hmong New Year is a time of reflection and celebration. We celebrate the end of a harvest season of growing rice and raising livestock. We also reflect on the obstacles and successes of the old year and welcome in the new. We welcome in the new year with the rituals symbolic of cleansing the soul. We welcome back spirits of those who’ve passed to come have dinner one more time at the dinner table. It is a time of rebirth and renewal, and a time of hope. At great communal Hmong New Year celebrations, games are played and beauty pageants are put on. Youth from far away villages come to play games of courtship in a ball tossing game in the hopes of finding a mate or reconnecting with friends and family.

Above all, I believe the collaborative event that the Coaliton of Hmong students from Carleton and Hmong Culture Outreach of St. Olaf are able to annually execute together goes to show our spirit of teamwork and friendship. I hope everyone can join us as we celebrate a new year this weekend.

There will be no sporting events for our new year celebration, but great cultural entertainment and wonderful food will be provided. We hope members of the community will take the time and opportunity to celebrate with us in our festivities and help us welcome the coming of an exciting new year.

For More Information, Please Refer to Public Relations Contact:

Derek Vang, Coalition of Hmong Students (CHS)
[email protected] , Cell: (763) 210-8182