Knights end in draw for third time in five MIAC games

<rleton College women’s soccer team continued its unbeaten start to MIAC play after playing to a 1-1 draw against Concordia College.

This was the fifth time already on the season that the Knights (5-1-4, 2-0-3 MIAC) went into extra-time, including the third time in their past four matches that they played the full 110 minutes to end in a tie. The narrative is similar for the Cobbers (4-4-2, 1-2-2 MIAC), as they also drew their second consecutive match.

“Today was another disappointing result on the road,” noted Carleton head coach Jocelyn Keller. “We turned over the ball too much and matched Concordia’s play in the first half. As a team, we need to sort out an identity and decide our destiny.”

Concordia created the majority of the scoring chances early, totaling 7-of the first-8 shot attempts in the contest. Carleton turned the tables, however, and took 7-of the final-10 shots on the day.

Neither side was able to come away with a goal in the first 45 minutes of action as after a brief settling in period both defenses stiffened up. After Ruby Kazemi’s (Sr./Missoula, Mont./Hellgate) effort in the 29th minute was turned away by the Concordia keeper, neither team was able to create another shot for the rest of the half.

In the 61st minute, Mackenzie Korpi (Jr./Rye Brook, N.Y./Blind Brook) got the scoring opened with her second goal of the season. As the clock wound down it seemed like the one goal would be enough for three points in the standings, however the Cobbers kept pressing for an equalizer and found it off a corner kick in the 88th minute when Rachel Nemer headed home a cross from Kalli Baarstad.

In overtime the shots were once again hard to come by, with Carleton not allowing the home team a single attempt. Concordia held the Knights’ offense in check as well, yielding only a Kazemi attempt in the 107th minute.

Anna Roethler (So./St Louis Park, Minn./St Louis Park) played the full 110 minutes in net for Carleton and had seven saves on the day.

The last two teams unbeaten in MIAC play will match up at Bell Field next Saturday, Oct. 6, when the Knights host No. 17-ranked University of St. Thomas 1:00 pm. This will be the first half of a doubleheader with the men’s team. Links to live stats and video will be available via Knights Online.