Mathison wins 3K, Knights finish 4th at MIAC indoor championships

<thison (So./Waunakee, Wis./Waunakee) won the 3000-meter run to highlight the performances on the final day of the MIAC Championships for the Carleton College women’s indoor track and field team. The Knights turned in a total of four all-conference performances on Saturday and finished fourth in the team standings.

The 3000-meter race saw Mathison and Bethel’s Annika Halverson locked in another epic sprint to the finish line. After being narrowly edged in the mile run the day before, Mathison would not be denied this time and captured her first indoor track and field title by 0.41 seconds. The Carleton sophomore crossed the finish line at 10:03.06.

Emily Kaegi (Sr./Williamstown, Mass./Mount Greylock) placed third at 10:10.48, joining Mathison in earning All-MIAC recognition for the second time at the conference meet. Amanda Mosborg (Fy./Edina, Minn./Edina) also scored team points for the Knights in the event with her seventh-place result, finishing in 10:23.10.

Sid Holder (Fy./West Orange, NJ/Phillips Academy) picked upAll-MIAC Honorable Mention as she placed fourth in the 200-meter dash at 26.13. Damali Britton (Sr./Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista) also received all-conference honorable after notching a fourth-place result in the triple jump, measuring 10.89 meters.

St. Thomas won the 12-team competition for the 19th consecutive year, this time totaling 171.50 points. Bethel edged St. Olaf, 88-87, for second place and Carleton (78.5) held off both Saint Benedict (76.5) and Hamline (74.5) for fourth place.

Select Knights could participate at the Last Chance NCAA Qualifier next Friday, March 2 in hopes of improving their chances at qualifying for the NCAA Indoor Championships to be held on March 9-10 in Birmingham, Ala.