Lawler Nearing Perfection

<rleton rookie pitcher Alec Lawler (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./Shanghai American School) continued his breakout season on the mound with two near-perfect performances last week. Lawler didn’t allow a run, going 1-0 and recording 8.0 scoreless innings, with six strikeouts against just three hits and three walks. For his performance, Lawler was honored Monday with his first MIAC Baseball Pitcher-of-the-Week award.

Lawler was brilliant in his lone start of the week, as he helped the Knights pick up a 6-0 win over Gustavus on Wednesday behind his 7.0 scoreless innings. Lawler struck out four Gusties, while scattering three hits and three walks. He also worked a hitless inning out of the bullpen Saturday in a 7-5 loss against Saint John’s, as he struck out two of the four hitters he faced. Lawler has yet to allow a run in April, with 15.0 scoreless innings in four appearances. In his rookie season, Lawler is 2-3 with a 3.00 ERA and 35 strikeouts in 33 innings of work. He ranks seventh in the MIAC in strikeouts and 10th in ERA.

Carleton went 2-2 last week, sweeping the Gusties but losing two to Saint John’s by a total of three runs, and is now 10-16 overall and 6-4 in conference play to share fourth place with Concordia. The Knights have a busy week at home with Hamline coming to Northfield for a 2:30 p.m. MIAC doubleheader on Tuesday. The Knights host Bethel in a nonconference game Thursday, and also welcome Saint Mary’s for a MIAC twin bill Saturday at 1 p.m. The week wraps up with a trip to UM-Morris for a 2 p.m. Sunday non-conference game.