Women’s track season debut breaks record books

<rleton College women’s track and field team began the traditional outdoor season at the Hamline Invitational. Ruth Steinke (Jr./Lima, N.Y./Honeoye Falls-Lima) and Amelia Campbell (Jr./Sturgeon Bay, Wis./Sturgeon Bay) won individual events to lead the Knights.

“What a fun day,” said Carleton head coach Donna Ricks. “This is when track and field is at its best when you get great weather and the athletes can just go out, have fun, compete, and enjoy the competition.”

The meet opened with the 5000-meter run. Steinke and Colette Celichowski (Sr./Shorewood, Minn./Minnetonka) both posted personal bests and finished 1-2 in the event. Their times of 17:24.63 and 17:37.05 rank sixth and ninth, respectively, in the nation. Additionally the duo is now fourth and sixth in team history.

Campbell had the other victory, capturing the javelin crown when her final throw of the competition measured 32.83 meters (107’ 8”).

Damali Britton (Fy./Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista) smashed the school record in the outdoor triple jump, opening Saturday’s competition with a distance of 11.40 meters (37’5”) to rank second overall. That distance was eclipsed the previous program standard by nearly 17 inches. Britton currently ranks 12th nationally. She added a sixth-place result in the long jump (5.02 meters)

Other top-five placements for the Knights include:

• Ellie Wilson (Sr./Roseville, Minn./Roseville) added a second-place result in the 400-meter dash with a time of 59.34.

• Avery Johnson (Sr./Portland, Ore./Oregon Episcopal) took third in the javelin (30.24 meters).

• Emma Grisanzio (So./Carol Stream, Ill./Wheaton North) finished fifth in the 400-meter dash at 1:00.48.

The Knights will host their lone home outdoor meet of 2015 next Saturday, April 18. Knights Online hopes to once again provide live video coverage of the Carleton Relays.