Julie Conroy ’10 to publish magazine with focus on women’s issues, trollop

<e’s a new publication on the block, and her name is trollop. The magazine, though still in its infancy, strives to carve a niche out for itself as a unique “women’s magazine” in Carleton’s sea of publications.

Trollop’s first meeting was Tuesday, Oct. 16, and Julie Conroy ’10, the current leader of the group and trollop’s editor-in-chief-to-be, was met with an 25 enthusiastic students. While the second meeting this Tuesday sported significantly fewer attendees, Conroy still has ambitious hopes for the magazine. “We’re really attempting to get something out by the end of this term,” she said.

The publication seeks to follow in the steps of big-sister magazines such as Bust, Bitch, the now-defunct Jane or the long-defunct Sassy. These magazines—and, if all goes as planned, trollop—differ from mainstream reads such as Glamour or Elle in their edgier take on issues. Such an angle accounts for the magazine’s unconventional choice of name. Conroy defines the term “trollop” as “an untidy or slovenly women; a slattern, slut…” Apparently, this isn’t your mother’s women’s magazine.

The magazine’s mission statement, written by Conroy, states, “trollop is… focused on the needs of Carleton’s female population,” though, she contends that “men of course are welcomed to read and enjoy.” She continues: “We aim to discuss issues ranging from grave and serious to completely and utterly frivolous. We strive to be intellectual, intelligent, relevant, entertaining… along with many more adjectives.”

The magazine is to include several departments such as Health and Sex, Features, “Love/like/hate” (also known as “relationships”), “Aesthetics” (fashion/beauty), and Entertainment. Smaller aspects that trollop hopes to include are a “man rant,” in which a—surprise, surprise!—male student writes his view on an issue, profiles of Carleton female faculty and staff members, as well as a running installment of a “Carleton Soap Opera.”

Positions for students are extensive, including an editor for each of the five sections, as well as positions in Business/Treasury, Layout/Art/Design and, of course, myriad writers.

Additionally, trollop staffers hope to employ the knowledge of others on campus, such as a Health advice column with one of the members of the Wellness Center, and a Sex and Sexuality advice column with one of the professionals from the Gender and Sexuality Center, most likely Kaaren Williamsen-Garvey, Director of Gender & Sexuality Center and an LGBT Adviser.

Each issue of the magazine will have a predetermined theme, a method used in magazines like Bitch as well as fellow home-grown publication The Lens. The initial issue’s theme will be, fittingly, “Firsts.”

The first step to make “Firsts,” though, is for the group to decide on a format and medium for the magazine, and, most importantly, generate the money to print trollop. Currently, Conroy aims to print a magazine-style publication on the more cost-friendly medium of newsprint. Additionally, the group hopes to solicit advertisements from businesses in downtown Northfield, as well as inquire monetary help from the CSA.

Conroy’s idea for creating a magazine like trollop was sparked last year after she had written a memoir-style piece that seemed to be lacking an outlet. “I couldn’t submit it to The Lens, and it wasn’t the right tone for The Carletonian,” she said. The gaping hole of a women’s magazine with greater possibilities for writers seemed apparent to Conroy.

The magazine is very young and currently looking for other editors, writers, or staffers to assist with business and layout; anyone interested can attend a meeting at 9 p.m. in Hill Lounge. Conroy emphasized that new ideas regarding the outlook and mission of the publication are welcomed.

Although the end of term is swiftly approaching—along with the goal of publishing the first issue, or at the least, its first draft—Conroy said she was “extremely, fervently trying for this.”