News Briefs

<ong>Anthropologist to Speak on Moral Crusades to Save Muslim Women
    Lila Abu Lughod ‘74, an anthropologist well known for her work on gender and postcolonial theory and for challenging simplistic readings of culture, in addition to a focus on women in the Arab world, will present  “Authorizing Moral Crusades to Save Muslim Women: Literary Trafficking and Rights-Talk in the Public Sphere” at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, May 2 in the Severance Great Hall. This event is free and open to the public. 

Carleton’s Ian G. Barbour Lecture Series Continues with a Presentation by Dr. Larry L. Rasmussen
    Carleton College’s Ian Barbour, an expert in Christian ethics, argues that there is widespread denial of the fundamental role of global capitalism and unprecedented human population growth in creating this problem. His Lecture Series will continue with a presentation by Dr. Larry L. Rasmussen on Tuesday, May 1 at 7 p.m. in the Severance Great Hall. Entitled “The Denial of a Diminished Planet: The Challenge of Science and to Religion,”. This event is free and open to the public.

Carleton Presents Step It Up II: An Evening of Hip-Hop Dance Performance
    Step It Up is one of Carleton’s most popular and widely attended annual events. In addition to performances by Carleton students and dance ensembles, they also showcase a wide variety of African-American dance forms presented by visiting groups from the Twin Cities and beyond. Carleton College’s Black Students Alliance will host Step It Up II, a celebration of black expression through various forms of dance, on Sat., April 28 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and again from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Room 165 in the Weitz Center for Creativity. This event is free and open to the public.