Women’s Basketball bested at Augsburg

<r Tsutsui ‘15 tallied a team-best 16 points as four players finished in double figures for the Carleton College women’s basketball team, but the Knights shot just 27 percent in the second half and lost 65-61 at Augsburg College.

The Knights stayed in the game by making their free throws. They went 22-of-23 (.957) from the charity stripe, the highest conversion percentage (min. 10 made) from the line in recorded Knights history.

Augsburg led 25-18 with 8:47 remaining in the first half before the Knights put together a 16-4 run to close the period.
Carleton’s five-point intermission advantage disappeared early in the second half and the squads spent the next 10 minutes exchanging the lead.

Megan Bakken ‘13 drained a pair of free throws to give the Knights their final lead, 48-46 with 6:47 still to play.
Augsburg went on a 9-0 run over the next three minutes to take the lead for good.

Carleton trimmed the deficit to three points on multiple occasions but was unable to complete the comeback.

“It was a very physical game, and I thought we handled their defensive pressure fairly well,” said Carleton head coach Cassie Kosiba. “Where we struggled was on the other side of the ball. We worked hard to force up tough, contested shots but then gave them too many second and third chances.”

In addition to Tsutsui, Akemi Arzouman ‘13 scored 13 points, and both Jenny Ramey ‘14 and Jessa Youso ‘13 finished with 11 points.

Serenae Levine finished with a game-high 18 points to pace Augsburg.

Carleton closes the season on Saturday, Feb. 18 at St. Olaf. Tipoff is slated for 1:00 p.m., and both ends of the women’s-men’s doubleheader will be broadcast on KDHL 920AM and Knights Online.

— Courtesy of Sports

Information