News Briefs

<ong>Carleton Players Present “Farragut North”
    The Carleton College Players, under the direction of David Wiles, will present the award-winning play “Farragut North” in the Weitz Center for Creativity Theater. Performances will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, February 17, 18, 24 and 25, with a 2 p.m. matinee performance on Sunday, February 19. Performances are free and open to the public; reservations are recommended and can be made by telephone at (507) 222-4471 or online at https://carleton.tixato.com/buy.

Celebrate the Season at the Northfield Winter Stomp!
    Carleton, along with the Northfield Community Contra Dance Associa- tion, will present the annual Northfield Winter Stomp! on Friday, February 17 at the Northfield Armory. Featuring the music of Contratopia and led by caller Robin Nelson, the evening begins with a half-hour lesson at 7 p.m. followed by three hours of folk dancing from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Students and mem- bers of the community are invited to participate. No dance partner is need- ed, however event organizers recom- mend bringing comfortable shoes and festive, swing-ready attire.

Wynia Memorial Lecture To Address Brazil’s Success
    Political scientist and Brazil expert Peter Kingstone will deliver the 2012 Gary Wynia Memorial Lecture on Friday, Feb. 17 at 4:30 p.m. in the Gould Library Athenaeum. Focused on the explosive economic and political growth of this South American giant in recent decades, Kingstone’s presentation is entitled “Democracy, Development, and the Puzzling Success of Brazil.” This event is free and open to the public.

Carleton Students’ Annual Performance of Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues to Benefit The Hope Center
    Students at Carleton College will present The Vagina Monologues on Saturday, Feb. 18 at 7:30 p.m. in the Skinner Memorial Chapel. The annual performance seeks to raise awareness of V-Day, a worldwide movement to end violence against women and girls. The performance is open to the public, with a suggested $5 to $15 donation at the door with proceeds benefiting The Hope Center in Faribault and a network of safe houses and legal assistance offices in Haiti. The Hope Center works against sexual and domestic violence through crisis intervention, counseling, and legal advocacy. The Vagina Monologues is sponsored by the Carleton College Gender and Sexuality Center.