Swimming team pair earns weekly MIAC awards

<rleton College women’s swimming and diving team got to test the waters for the MIAC Championships over the weekend at a similarly big event in the same pool, and the results were extremely encouraging for both the Knights and junior swimmer Erin McDuffie.

She emerged as one of the top Division III freestylers at the meet, setting season-best times in two events and recording the fastest time of all D-III entrants in both events as well. For her performances, McDuffie secured her first career MIAC Women’s Swimmer-of-the-Week award.

McDuffie’s big performance began with a season-best time of 53.40 in the 100-yard freestyle to best the rest of the Division III swimmers in the event. For an encore, she set a new lifetime best time in the 200-yard freestyle by shaving more than three seconds off her previous best time.

Her new personal record of 1:57.87 helped her finish 12th overall in the event and No. 1 among the D-III swimmers. Both of her new season-best times rank fourth in the MIAC this season on the conference’s Top Times list.

McDuffie and the Knights will continue their preparations for the 2012 MIAC Swimming and Diving Championships, which will be held Feb. 16-18, also at the University of Minnesota’s Aquatic Center.

— Courtesy of Sports Information