News Briefs

<ong>Weitz Center Celebrates New Art Exhibit with Reception and Tour
    Carleton College’s Weitz Center for CreCarleton College’s Perlman Teaching Museum, located in the Weitz Center for Creativity, will be hold a special reception from 7:30 to 9 p.m. on Friday, January 20 to formally celebrate the new art exhibition, “A Complex Weave: Women and Identity in Contemporary Art.” On display in the museum’s Braucher Gallery through March 11, the exhibit looks at the ongoing vitality of the feminist movement in art with works by contemporary female artists of varied backgrounds. The reception is free and open to the public.

Visiting Artist Lecture Series Brings Painter/Video Maker Carolyn Swiszcz to Carleton
    Carleton continues its Christopher U. Light Lectureship in the Arts with an appearance by artist Carolyn Swiszcz on Tuesday, Jan. 24 from 1:15 to 2:15 p.m. in Boliou Hall Room 161. This presentation is free and open to the public.
    Minneapolis’ Highpoint Center for Printmaking notes, “Swiszcz’s work captures crumbling parking lots, newsstands, destitute strip-malls and other “neighborhood eyesores” with a fresh and witty approach to detail. Employing rich textures, color, and pattern, Swiszcz embellishes these drab landscapes while remaining mindful of their droll charm. 

Presentation Ponders the Possibility of Feeding the World Without Destroying the Planet
    University of Minnesota professor Jim Foley, an expert on the interactions between human beings and complex ecological systems, will present a public forum on ecology and food systems on Monday, Jan. 23 at 4:30 p.m. in the Carleton College Gould Library Athenaeum. His presentation, entitled “Can We Feed the World, Without Destroying the Planet?” will be held at 4:30 p.m in the Gould Library Athenaeum, and is free and open to the public.