News Briefs

<ong>Weitz Center explores culture, identity with new art exhibits
    Carleton College’s Weitz Center for Creativity is the setting for two new art exhibits opening in this month in the College’s Perlman Teaching Museum.  In the Kaemmer Family Gallery, “Running the Numbers: Portraits of Mass Consumption” presents large but intricate color images based on statistics to visually dramatize aspects of contemporary American culture.  In the adjoining Braucher Gallery, “A Complex Weave: Women and Identity in Contemporary Art” reveals the ongoing vitality of the Feminist artist movement with works by 17 contemporary women artists exploring aspects of identity through painting, drawing, needlework, photography and other media. Both exhibits will be on display Jan. 13 through March 11. Gallery admission is free and open to the public.

Carleton to celebrate, honor Martlin Luther King, Jr.
    Carleton College will honor Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a candlelight service of remembrance and celebration led by Reverend Oliver White, the senior pastor at St. Paul’s Grace Community United Church of Christ, and the Carleton Jubilee Singers. The service will take place at 5 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 15 in the Skinner Memorial Chapel. This event, which is free and open to the public, will be followed by a soup supper.

Reverend Oliver White is the senior pastor at Grace Community United Church of Christ in St. Paul, Minn., a congregation that “strives to be a light of hope in a community where there are many needs. The main focuses of this ministry are homelessness, at-risk youth, and families living at or below the poverty level.” The church is the only predominantly Black church in the Minnesota Conference of the UCC and seeks to be multiracial, multicultural and open to all.