News Briefs

<ong>Carleton Opens Weitz Theater with Production of Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”
    Carleton College’s new theater at the Weitz Center for Creativity will see its inaugural production this week with the Carleton Players’ presentation of William Shakespeare’s “The Tempest.” Performances will take place nightly at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 27 through Saturday, Oct. 29, along with a final matinee on Sunday, Oct. 30 at 2:30 p.m. This production is free and open to the public; reservations can be made by calling (507) 222-4471 or by visiting online at go.carleton.edu/tempres.

Honoring the new College’s brand new theater, “The Tempest” is being directed by Ed Berkeley, Carleton Class of 1966 and a faculty member at the famed Juilliard School in New York City since 1987.

Panel of Carleton Professors to Address Revolution in the Arab World
    In light of the wave of revolutions that have swept the Arab world in what has come to be known as the Arab Spring, Carleton College’s Humanities Center will present “Perspectives on the Arab Spring,” a panel discussion of the role of music, social media, film, and literature in shaping the ongoing turmoil in the Middle East and North Africa. Taking place Thursday, Nov. 3 at 7:30 p,m, in the College’s Weitz Center for Creativity, room 236, this important and timely event is free and open to the public. Yaron Klein, professor of Arabic in the Department of Middle Eastern Languages, Dana Strand, Andrew W. Mellon Professor of French and the Humanities and Chair of the French and Francophone Studies Department and Devashree Gupta, professor of political science will be speaking.