News Briefs

<ong>Carleton Data Visualization Challenge on October 7
    Join members of the Carleton community in a hands-on discussion of data visualization. Here is how it works: download a dataset, play with the data, make a visualization (graphs, charts, tables, maps, etc.), and gather at the IdeaLab in the Weitz Center at 4:30 p.m. on October 7 to discuss the different visualization approaches. You don’t have to make something to participate. However, the more visualizations we have, the better.

Unfolding Faiths, Sexualities in Motion
    Every Monday from 8-9pm in Weitz 233, Unfolding Faiths, Sexualities in Motion meets for their open discussion group. UFSM is a student-led discussion group that strives to foster a visible, open-minded, and respectful community at Carleton that encourages open discussion on issues of faith and sexuality. Co-sponsored with the Gender and Sexuality Center. Contacts: foranr or weinstem

LTC Lunch: Indignity and the Holocaust as Global Discourses; Dialogues Faculty Research Talk
    What happens when one people’s  experience is appropriated by people in other places to describe their own struggles? This talk examines how Native Americans and Palestinians have appropriated the Jewish narrative of the Holocaust to characterize their sufferings, while Jewish Israelis and Palestinians have usurped the language of indignity to describe their respective situations. The lunch takes place on Oct. 11 from 11:45am-1pm in the Weitz Center for Creativity.

Eyewitnessing: The Use of Images as Historical Evidence, by Peter Burke
    Examining categories of images—from maps, photography, and film to religious icons, caricatures, and propaganda posters—this book introduces various methods, challenges, opportunities, and difficulties of using visual material as primary source evidence in historical inquiry. Reviewing the book in The Journal of Social History, Helena Waddy notes that “Burke has written an engaging and important book that should persuade his readers to take historical images very seriously as decipherable and therefore credible providers of evidence.” The talk will take place on Thursday, Oct. 13 in Headley House, 815 East 2nd Street, Northfield at 4:30pm.