News Briefs

<ong>Expert to Address America’s Looming Water Crisis

Robert Glennon, a leading expert on the water crisis in the American West, will speak at Carleton College on Monday, May 16 at 5 p.m. in the Boliou Hall auditorium. Glennon’s presentation shares the same title as his recently released book, “Unquenchable: America’s Water Crisis and What To Do About It.”  This event is free and open to the public.

Money at Carleton: Where did it come from, where did it go?

Ever wonder where the money from tution and alumni gifts goes at Carleton? To the Arb? Off-Campus study programs? Identical sweaters for the humanities profs? Wonder no more! Student peer leaders are invited to a pizza lunch at Sevy Great Hall on Thursday, May 13 during common time (12-1pm) to discuss this with Linda Thornton, Comptroller, and Chris Clark, the Director of the Alumni Annual Fund. Find out where money comes from and goes to on Carleton’s campus.

Water Bottle Campaign Passed

On Monday, May 7, the CSA approved the Water Bottle resolution that was proposed by the Student Sustainability Assistants to end funding for bottled water at Carleton. The campaign, also known around campus as “Take Back the Tap”, started at the start of Spring term and has since continued its efforts to gain student support. Through a series of petitions that had Carleton students, staff, and faculty members pledging to shift away from bottled water on campus. The CSA resolution officially prohibits the allocation of CSA budget funds to purchase bottled water, thanks to the support of the campus. Next, the “Take Back the Tap” campaign plans to target vending machines, the Bookstore, and athletic concession stands, to prevent bottled water from being sold through these venues across canpus.