News Briefs

<ong>Carleton College’s Annual International Festival Showcases a “Quilt of Cultures”

Carleton’s annual International Festival will take place Saturday, May 7th at 2 p.m. on the campus Bald Spot.  This two-hour event showcases and celebrates the cultural diversity among Carleton students, and is entirely student-run.  There will be live student performances and a display of homemade international cuisine, as well as games, arts, and crafts. This year’s theme is “Quilt of Cultures” and all donations will benefit the Women’s Initiative for Self-Empowerment (WISE), a non-profit based in the Twin Cities that helps women from a variety of nationalities and cultures.  In the event of inclement weather, all activities will be moved indoors to the Sayles.

Players to Perform Margaret Edson’s Pulitzer-Winning Play “Wit”
    The Carleton Players will perform “Wit, a play” by American playwright Margaret Edson May 5-7 in the College’s Arena Theater, with evening shows at 7:30 each day and a 2 p.m. matinee on May 7. Directed by Associate Professor of Theater David Wiles, the play is performed as a single continuous act, without intermission.  “Wit” follows an English professor in the last hours before her death from ovarian cancer. Dr. Vivian Bearing evaluates her life through the use of wit and the poetry of John Donne. Performances are free and open to the public.

Carleton College’s Baroque Trio to Perform Spring Program

The Carleton College Baroque Trio will perform on Sunday, May 8 at 3 p.m. in the Concert Hall. Members include Mark Krusemeyer (recorders), Jeanean Hall (harpsichord) and Karen Madsen (violin, cello). The program will feature chamber music composed between 1600 and 1850, particularly during the high Baroque. Works by composers such as Blavet, Loeillet de Gant, Mancini, Merula, and Telemann will be presented.  This event is free and open to the public.