News Briefs

<ong>Carleton’s Robert Bonner To Receive Honorary Doctorate from U of Wyoming

Robert Bonner, the Marjorie Crabb Garbisch Professor of History and the Liberal Arts, emeritus, at Carleton College, will be awarded an honorary degree, Doctor of Humane Letters, from his alma mater, the University of Wyoming, during that institution’s commencement on May 7.

Bonner, professor emeritus of history at Carleton is recognized as an outstanding scholar and historian of Wyoming and the American West. He received a B.A. (1961) degree in history/American Studies from the University of Wyoming. He received an M.A. at Oregon in European history and his Ph.D., in English history at the University of Minnesota.

“Bonner’s life and career reflect the culture of Wyoming at its very best,” says William Moore, University of Wyoming professor emeritus of history. “I am especially struck by his appreciation of learning; his passion for teaching; his quiet, personal integrity and his love of family and community.”

Frumkin to Debut Original Play this Weekend

Security, a play written by Carleton junior Rebekah Frumkin (Libertyville, Ill.), will debut in Carleton College’s Little Nourse Theater on Thursday, April 21 at 7:30 p.m., with additional evening performances on Friday and Saturday, April 22 and 23 at 7:30 p.m., and a matinee performance at 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 23. Performances are free and open to the public. To reserve seats, email [email protected].

Although still a student, Frumkin has had her short story “Monster” published in the 2009 edition of Best American Nonrequired Reading, a series that compiles a wide variety of pieces in different genres – humor, essays, fiction, and journalism – both from famous authors and new writers.