News Briefs

<ong>College engages in self-study as part of accreditation process

As part of Carleton’s ongoing accreditation process, the final Campus Focus Group sessions, which follow three Campus Focus Groups with randomly sampled students, faculty and staff, will take place on Tues., Oct. 23 and Wed., Nov. 7. The college is currently undergoing a self-study to prepare for the accreditation site visit in 2009. The final sessions will be open to all students, faculty and staff on a first-come, first-served basis and will be facilitated by a moderator.

Acclaimed Minneapolis author delivers talk on new book

On Wed., Nov. 17, Kevin Kling, author of the critically acclaimed collection of short essays “The Dog Says How,” will come to Carleton to talk about his new book. The talk will take place at Severance Great Hall. A resident of Minneapolis, Kling has often been featured on National Public Radio’s “All Things Considered.” As a playwright and storyteller, his plays have been performed internationally. Much of Kling’s work deals with his life experiences including childhood in Minnesota, performance of a banned play in Czechoslovakia and getting struck by lightning. This event occurs as part of the Northfield Reads! book club, a community initiative sponsored by River City Books, the Carleton and St. Olaf bookstores, Northfield Public Library, and Monkey See, Monkey Read.

ETB plays presents comedy

Carleton College’s Experimental Theater Board (ETB) will put on the comedy “Mr. Marmalade” on Oct. 25, 26 and 27 in the Nourse Little Theater. Carleton’s production of the play is directed by Ben Egerman ’08 and features Rachel Teagle ’08, Bob Keating ’09, Joe Knoedler ’09, Madeline Schaefer ’09, Gideon Steinberg ’09, and Bill White ’10. The play was originally written by playwright Noah Haidle and centers around the dark imaginary world of a 4-year-old girl.

DeGeneres cancels show in light of emotional dog situation

Ellen DeGeneres, star of the critically acclaimed films “Mr. Wrong” and “EdTV,” cancelled the Friday and Monday tapings of her show following emotional distress from the international controversy over the custody of her adopted dog. DeGeneres originally adopted Iggy, a Brussels Griffon terrier mix, from the animal rescue group Mutts and Moms. However, after many attempts to train Iggy, DeGeneres determined that the mutt didn’t exactly mesh with her feline friends. DeGeneres summarily gave the dog to her hairdresser. However, the rescue agency claimed that DeGeneres’ actions were a violation of her adoption contract and confiscated Iggy from DeGeneres’ hairdresser. While DeGeneres will not film new shows for the Friday and Monday slots, reruns with “Playboy” Ms. March Jessica Alba and “Scary Movie 3” star Queen Latifah will be shown.