News Briefs

<ong>Renowned Argentine musicians to perform Concierto de Tango

Latin Grammy-winning musician Raul Jaurena will be joined by keyboardist Maurizio Najt, bass player Jorge Longo, and violinist Leonardo Suarez Paz, to present an intoxicating evening of traditional and contemporary Tango music  on Friday, May 21 at 8 p.m. in the Concert Hall on the Carleton College campus. Rooted in the colorful Tango tradition of Buenos Aires, these world-renowned New York City-based Argentine musicians will present a concert that traces this unique musical genre’s evolution from its humble origins at the beginning of the twentieth century, to the classic composers and orchestras of its golden age, and into the “Nuevo Tango” legacy defined by master composer and performer Astor Piazzolla, while spicing things up with elements of jazz and inventive improvisations. A not-to-be-missed performance by four fantastic musicians, the Concierto de Tango is free and open to the public.

The eclectic program will feature a repertoire of old and modern Tangos, milongas, and Tango-waltzes, including performances of El Choclo, Verano Porteño, Michelangelo 70, Palomita Blanca, Milonga Sentimental, New York Gotan, and the famous La Cumparsita. As described by maestro Raul Jaurena, the music “…is at the same time melancholy and provocative, bittersweet and tender – it lets your blood boil and makes your feet twitch.”In conjunction with their appearance, the four acclaimed musicians will also host a workshop on Saturday, May 22 at 10 a.m. in the Concert Hall, performing and discussing the instruments and compositions that define the roots and continuing evolution of this important and ever-popular musical tradition.

Experimental Theater Board to perform Stoppard’s “Arcadia”

Carleton’s student-run theater company, the Experimental Theater Board, will present Tom Stoppard’s “Arcadia” nightly at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, May 20, 21 and 22 in the College’s Little Nourse Theater. Reservations are recommended.

Considered by many to be Tom Stoppard’s finest play, “Arcadia” moves back and forth between the 19th century and the present, taking place entirely in a single room. Its varied characters are both poignant and entertaining, weaving a complex but ultimately tidy story. First presented in New York City in 1995, Vincent Canby of the New York Times called “Arcadia,” “Tom Stoppard’s richest, most ravishing comedy to date, a play of wit, intellect, language, brio and, new for him, emotion.” First presented in London in 1993, Arcadia is the recipient of the 1994 Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Play, later receiving both the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Play and the Tony Award for Best Play in 1995.

The Carleton College production, directed by Alex Fisher ’10, is being described by its producers as “a play for all disciplines! Math and physics lovers, history and literature aficionados, dancing and landscaping fiends alike… there’s something for everyone!”