News Briefs

<ong>BSA sponsors Step It Up & Dance featuring professional groups

Carleton College will present an exciting evening of contemporary dance performances entitled “Step It Up & Dance!” at 8 p.m. on Saturday, May 1 in the Concert Hall. This eclectic evening of step and hip-hop dance is free and open to the public.

“Step it Up & Dance!” will include innovative performances by Omega Psi Phi, Kappa Alpha Psi, Delta Sigma Theta – three traditionally black Greek organizations well known for dancing, especially the distinctive style known as step dancing, in which performers use their bodies to create complex rhythms. Chicago’s Full Effect professional dance troupe will also be performing. The Full Effect Dance Theater is a Chicago dance company that has toured Europe and worked with artists including Missy Elliot, Keyshia Cole, Lupe Fiasco, Beyonce, and R Kelly.

This event is sponsored by the Carleton College Black Students Alliance (BSA). The Concert Hall is located off First Street, between Nevada and Winona Streets in Northfield. For more information regarding this event, including disability accommodations, please contact Gina Allen at [email protected].

Endowment team recognized by Institutional Investor magazine 

The Carleton College endowment team has been recognized with a 2010 U.S. Investment Management Award from Institutional Investor magazine.

“This is a great tribute to the transformation brought in recent years to Carleton’s investment management,” Carleton President Robert A. Oden Jr. said. “ We owe a deep debt of gratitude to many, beginning with Jason Matz, Carleton’s director of investments; Fred Rogers ‘72, vice president and treasurer; our Trustee investment committee; and most especially the chair of the investment committee, Wally Weitz ’70. Alumni and others give to the College for a number of reasons, but it is particularly important for them to have confidence in Carleton’s investment practices.”

“To the extent Carleton deserves special recognition among those institutions with well-managed endowments, we believe it is because we have diligently worked to develop a disciplined investment process and ensure it is adequately resourced, beginning with the decision six years ago to form an investment office,” Weitz said. ”Congratulations to Fred, and on behalf of the investment committee and the Board of Trustees, I’d add congratulations to Jason Matz and the Carleton investment office who have spent years positioning the endowment to deserve this recommendation.”

“Over the past several years the investment office has collaborated with the investment committee to build a portfolio reflective of Carleton’s spending policies and overall financial condition and we have had the discipline to maintain that long-term strategy through the recent period of financial market stress,” Matz said, adding, “We have also forged relationships with some of the very best investment managers and I thank them for their stewardship in managing Carleton’s assets, in addition to Carleton’s investment committee.”

The purpose of Carleton’s endowment is to provide a stable stream of financial support to the College’s operating budget, in perpetuity. Spending from the endowment provides 25 percent of Carleton’s operating budget, which along with tuition and annual giving supports the College in its mission of educational excellence. Endowment income is used for financial aid, academic programming, faculty and staff salaries, and facility expenditures. Carleton’s endowment market value is approximately $575 million and the investment portfolio is diversified across several asset classes and approximately 45 investment managers.

Winners for the 2010 U.S. Investment Management Awards were chosen by the editorial staff of Institutional Investor magazine based on their market intelligence, performance data and additional information received from the industry following a public call for nominations. The winners will be honored at an awards ceremony and dinner on May 17, 2010, in New York City. Rogers  will accept the award on Carleton’s behalf.  Carleton earned the distinction in the Small Endowment category, a category for institutions with less than $1 billion in assets. A full list of award winners is available at http://www.iimagazine.com/usinvestmentawards/.