CSA Update

<ong>Change in Senators

Senator Nimo Ali announced that she will be resigning in order to focus on academics. Kelsey Han ’11 was approved unanimously to fill Ali’s seat.

Budget Committee

The Senate approved all funding requests: Hot Karls ($285), Carleton Comics Journal ($210), MPIRG ($20), ETB ($511), Black Student Alliance ($55), CSA ($60), American Sign Language Club ($80), LASO ($775), MPIRG ($30), Rotblatt 144 ($3150), The Lens ($3300), The Cave ($7000.)

Changes to SWA Program

Chloe Coenen, Director of the SWA program, presented the program’s changes for the 2010-2011 school year.  They include moving from 16 to 8 SWAs, focus on core areas, emphasis on programming, and SWAs participating in ongoing training. Goals for the future included increase supervision and accountability, better programming and establishing the SWAs as a programming resource.

Changes to Campus Activities Office

Nadine Sunderland, Lee Clark and Haley Johnson ‘13 presented about new initiatives in Campus Activities.  Potential changes included renaming the office to ‘Student Activities’ and the development of a Student Activities Program Board to increase collaborative synergy between student groups and better facilitate resource sharing and scheduling.  In the fall, 14 new Programming Board Positions will be available.  Contact Campus Activities for more information.

Carleton Responsible Investment Committee Update

CRIC is the student organization that advises the investment committee of the Board of Trustees about how to vote on shareholder votes in an attempt to make Carleton’s investments more socially responsible.  Applications for openings on the committee will be made available next week.

Carls in the Community Update

The spring chapter of the Carls in the Community day of service will be held on Monday, May 3 (the Monday of mid-term break).  Currently there are three potential projects: trash pickup in a park, river clean up, and buckthorn picking.  Signups will begin next week.

Decision on Readership Program for 2010-2011 

Unanimous approval was given for continuation of the current budget to keep The New York Times, USA Today, and The Star Tribune newspapers available to students.
    Miscellaneous Topics Discussed:

The Sustainability Revolving Fund needs approval to turn off vending machines in buildings that aren’t being used during breaks. The Senate passed the proposal unanimously.

Seantor Heifetz formed a small group to discuss further action in regards to the course review process.

Upcoming

Come to the CSA meeting on Monday, April 26 for an update from CEDI (Community, Equity and Diversity Initiative) on their work since winter term.