News Briefs

<ong>“We Speak” celebrates African American heritage with student readings and performances

Come enjoy spoken word and other creative performances inspired by the African American experience! In honor of Black History Month, Carleton’s annual “We Speak” celebration will be held on Friday, February 26 at 8 p.m. in the College’s Concert Hall. This annual event is sponsored by Carleton’s Black Student Alliance (BSA), who encourages African American students, or any student with interest in African American issues, to come out and celebrate their heritage. This evening of performance is free and open to the public.

“We Speak” features student performances based on or inspired by African American issues, viewed through the lens of love, health, racism, and current events. The event will include everything from poetry, African drumming, story telling, and dancing, to acting and sharing documentaries. The event is meant to be educational, celebratory, and most importantly, fun.

The Black Students Alliance, led by Carleton senior Chantel V. Johnson (Chicago), has organized this evening of lively performances. The BSA is one of many multicultural groups at Carleton, providing a support base for African and African American students, sponsoring Black cultural events, and promoting awareness of issues in the Black community to enrich the lives of Carleton students.

Vote in the 2010 Census Poster Design Competition

To encourage participation in this year’s Census, ACE (Academic Civil Engagement) is collaborating with the Art Gallery’s Latin American Posters Exhibit to sponsor a Census poster competition inspired by the rich tradition of this form of visual communication.
    Since federal and state funding for many programs is calibrated to census numbers, accurate counts provide equitable funding. Yet many immigrants and those in temporary housing are not counted.

The winning Poster Design will be printed and widely distributed around Rice County during March 2010, when forms are distributed for the April deadline.

The submitted posters are now on display in Upper Sayles and students may vote for their favorite.There will be a People’s Choice Award as well as a winner chosen by Maria Cristina Tavera, Minneapolis artist and curator. The winner will be announced on March 1 and will be the recipient on a $200 prize.