Men’s track off to a good start

<turday, the men’s track and field team ran, jumped and threw to a third-place finish at St. Olaf. The Knights amassed 77 points, trailing Hamline and the host Oles.

First-years C.J. Dale and Dylan Cheever notched the two event victories for Carleton. Dale won the long jump with a mark of 5.75 meters, while Cheever was the afternoon’s highest jumper at 1.78.

In the most exciting race of the day, Michael Sanders ’10 delivered a stellar 1:57.42 personal best, trailing St. Olaf’s Reid Gilbertson at the finish by just one tenth.

Sanders came from behind on the bell lap, closing in under 29 seconds. Gilbertson ran 1:52.40 for Willamette last season. Adding .1 to that gives Sanders an unofficial outdoor time of 1:52.50.

Behind the unbelievable leadership of Sanders, the long sprint crew turned in some excellent performances. Jordan Butler ’13 made his debut at 400 meters, running 53.36.

James Morrissey ’12 was the top Knight in the 200 meters in 24.58, while Julian Childs-Walker ’13, the younger brother of 4-time All-American Simone Childs-Walker, led the way in the 600 yards in 1:22.41.

The 55-meter hurdles may be one of the Knights’ deepest events on the track. Five Carleton thinclads qualified for the finals at St. Olaf, led by Joe Concannon ’13 and his 8.39 clocking.

In the finals, Dylan Bothun ’11 and Ty Martin ’11 went 2-3 in 8.51 and 8.59, respectively.

The sale price of Otis, Oregon was increased by 10% following the incredible 5-second PR of Kian Flynn ’12 in the mile. His 4:34.52 was good enough for fourth place. Bobby Davis ’13 also ran a PR 4:36.22, an infinite improvement over his previous best of no mark.

Aaron Hirsh ’13 ran a fantastic collegiate track debut in “the one.” Behind a blistering final 200 of 31 seconds, Hirsh finished third in 2:42.49 in the five-lap event.

The famous “Freshman Flotilla” from cross country was not far behind, with Adam Scherling, Chas Karch and Jon Kittaka all running well. Michael Knudson ’11 knocked five seconds off his best, running 2:51.40.

John Davis ’11 did not compete, and will open his 2010 campaign tonight in the 3000 meters. Famous Johnson ’12 continues to nurse a hamstring injury.

In the field, Evan Franco ’10 was runner-up in the pole vault, clearing 3.95. Franco has absolutely no idea how high that is, as he simply jumps over whatever bar the meet officials set up.

Jameson Siegert ’11 was Carleton’s top putter, heaving the shot 10.28 meters. Aaron Maurer ’11 got some in the weight throw, chucking the 35-pound implement 11.42 meters for a personal best.

The Knights resume competition tonight at St. Olaf’s Tostrud Center, a familiar venue. Competition gets underway at 5 p.m. with field events and the trials of the 55 hurdles.