News Briefs

<ong>CSA elections coming up

Carleton College professors of music Ron Rodman and Nicola Melville, Carleton trombone students, professor Paul Niemisto of St. Olaf College, the Northfield Trombones, and the St. John’s Lutheran Church Trombone Ensemble have joined forces to present a trombone recital to end all trombone recitals! The performance will take place tonight at 8 p.m. in the Carleton College Concert Hall. The program will include works by Milhaud, Telemann, Ewazen, Gabriel Stockhausen, Scheidt, Grieg, Sousa, Gershwin, They Might Be Giants, and others.

Rodman organized this huge event by inviting all the trombonists in Northfield to participate, including all of his students. He estimates an ensemble of at least 12 players, maybe more. Rodman himself will play two solo pieces and then a duet with St. Olaf’s Niemisto. The rest of the program is dedicated to student and community players, who have prepared quartets, quintets, and other ensemble combinations. The grand finale is an arrangement of Sousa’s “Stars and Stripes Forever” arranged for 10 trombones, including a piccolo solo by a surprise guest.

Screening of documentary “Crossing Borders”

On Tuesday, February 2, Carleton College will present a special screening of the acclaimed feature documentary film “Crossing Borders” at 7 p.m. in the Boliou Hall Auditorium.

Directed by German filmmaker Arnd Wächter, “Crossing Borders” (2008) tells the story of eight young strangers—four Americans and four Moroccans—thrown together for a week to travel throughout Morocco. Over the course of their journey, they share home-stays and hikes and everything in between, all while confronting their differences in values, heritage, and social norms. As Arab and Western cultures come face-to-face, these students find out what really happens when two very different worlds collide.

Jazz Recital Celebrates Prolific Career of Alec Wilder

Celebrated jazz pianist Laura Caviani will present “Songs by Alec Wilder” on January 31 at 3 p.m. in the Carleton College Concert Hall. Caviani’s interest in Wilder’s music dates back to her college days. “[His] music appealed to me as a college student back in the 80s because his compositions bridged the gap between jazz and classical music… and since most of my life has been devoted to playing strictly jazz, his music is a perfect middle ground for me to dip my little toe back into the classical realm.” Caviani was also inspired by Wilder’s life story. He led a long and prolific life, composing for the likes of Frank Sinatra, Eileen Farrell, Marian McPartland and Stan Getz. But because Wilder’s music was hard to categorize, he rarely received the recognition he deserved and remains a relatively obscure 20th century composer to this day. Caviani hopes her recital can spark interest in his music once again.

This recital reflects a collaboration of several faculty members. The opening piece, one of Wilder’s many “Sonatas for Horn,” will feature Carleton faculty member Gwen Anderson. Voice faculty Patricia Kent and Rick Penning will also sing a wide variety of Wilder’s songs, some qualifying as art songs, others as fun, quippy jazz songs. Guest artists Gordy Johnson (bass) and Phil Hey (drums) will join the stage for the second half of the performance. The range of songs and genres covered should make for a fun survey of Wilder’s contributions to music.

Caviani received her BM in Composition from Lawrence University and MM in Improvisation from the University of Michigan. She has taught at St. John’s University, the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, the University of St. Thomas, and many middle schools in Minneapolis through the “Harman How to Listen Program.” Caviani has performed and recorded for over 15 years, including four highly acclaimed albums: “Dreamlife,” “As One,” “Angels We Haven’t Heard,” and “In Your Own Sweet Way.” She has also recorded and toured with the 2002 Grammy nominee Karrin Allyson (Concord Records) and with other greats such as Toots Theilemans, Bob Mintzer, and Dave Leibman. More information about Caviani can be found at www.lauracaviani.com.