News Briefs

<ong>CSA elections coming up

Preparations for this winter’s CSA elections are beginning. Many CSA positions are up for election this term, including President, Vice President and Treasurer. Additionally, there are two open spots for each Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Class Senate Representative.

The elections will be held seventh week. Candidate’s platforms will be due no later than fifth week. Interested individuals should email CSA President McKay Duer at duerm.

Gubernatorial candidate visits Northfield this weekend

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mark Dayton will visit Northfield Saturday. The meet and greet event will be held at 1 p.m. at the Hideaway coffee shop on Division Street. Dayton is campaigning to share his vision for “A Better Minnesota.”

The event comes as part of Dayton’s statewide tour of all of Minnesota’s “87 counties in 87 days,” which started on Jan. 20 with a campaign kick-off announcement in St. Paul.

The event is co-sponsored by the Carleton Democrats and the St. Olaf Democrats.

A film by Humberto Solas to be shown next Tuesday

The 1968 film Lucia charts women’s roles during different periods in Cuban history. Lucia (155 min) presents the story of women in revolution through the lives of three Lucias, each from a different social class. The first participated in the struggle for Cuban independence from Spain in 1895; the second struggled against dictator Geraldo Machado in 1933 and the last Lucia found her life transformed by Fidel Castro’s revolution in the late 1950s.

Before the Cuban Revolution of 1959, only Mexico —among Latin American nations — had an advanced film industry. One of the first actions taken by the Cuban revolutionary leadership was to found ICAIC, the Instituto Cubano del Arte e Industria Cinematograficos. Films including Solas’s Lucia brought international acclaim to the new industry.

The film will be introduced by Carol Donelan, associate professor of Cinema and Media Studies and Yansi Perez, assistant professor of Spanish.