Career Corner

<reer Corner

Last year, the Career Center pioneered a brand new initiative called Engagement Wanted. Seniors were asked to put together short profiles, introducing themselves and their career goals and abilities. Every week, five of these profiles were chosen at random and distributed to alumni and parents via e-mail. If these parents or alumni knew of any job opportunities, had someone to pass the profile on to, or had any advice relating to a particular field, they would respond to those students. In its first year, Engagement Wanted created connections, found jobs for students and garnered national recognition, with a minimum of effort on the part of the student.

With 2010 fast approaching, we’re gearing up for the second year of Engagement Wanted. The program is expanding to include juniors as well as seniors, and we want you to be ready for the first week of winter term, when the program will officially launch. Once again, that won’t require much work on your part. This winter break, take a look at the information about Engagement Wanted on the Career Center website. You can read comments from those who participated, get a sense of what worked and what didn’t in the profiles that were sent around, and get a better sense of what the program has to offer.

You should also consider drafting a preliminary profile. Try writing one more casual and one more professional. See which you like better, and ask others to read it. There is no perfect profile, as every reader is different, but make sure your profile says what you want it to say. Also, check out the CarlTown website (carltown.carleton.edu). It’s the main site that hosts your profiles, but it’s also a great way to network with alumni and students outside of the Engagement Wanted program. Finally, ask your parents to sign up. The more people we have participating, the more likely it is that someone will get a job.

The Career Center will be hosting a big launch event, so stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks and months. Engagement Wanted is a great way to supplement your job search, so get excited and get ready. Winter term is just around the bend.