Caught in the ACT

<ught in the ACT

Calling all Carls: We want your blood!

Founded in 1881 by Clara Barton, the American Red Cross is the country’s foremost emergency response organization. The Red Cross works to provide relief for citizens affected by natural disaster, offer community services for those in need, support military members and their families, and collect, process and distribute blood. A leader in supplying blood and blood products, the American Red Cross receives over four million blood donations a year. The organization also provides disaster relief internationally, offering assistance for individuals affected by tsunamis, civil war, and malnutrition.

Each term, Carleton students partner with the Red Cross to organize, advertise, and coordinate a campus blood drive. This year the Red Cross Blood Drive, an ACT program, is being by run by 5 Carls- Fang Yu Lee ’10, Inana Makhmudove ’11, Kelsey Sloan ’10, Claire Hartung ’11 and Melissa Villars ’11. However, they need the help of fellow Carleton students to make this year a success.

Libbie Weimer, a senior International Relations/Latin American studies major, said, “I love seeing so many Carleton students come together for the blood drive. This year I cannot donate because I traveled in Bolivia, a malaria region, but am still excited to volunteer at the event.”

The blood drive at Carleton is running Tuesday, October 13th and Wednesday, October 14th this term. Here’s how you can get involved:

• Give blood
    • Sign up for tabling in Sayles
    • Volunteer at the event

Help the program achieve its goal of 140 donors. Please do not sign up to donate if you have traveled in a malaria zone in the past year. Call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE to find out if you’re eligible.

Additionally do not give blood if you have a disease transmitted by blood or have gotten a tattoo in a state that does not have laws about sterilization. If you are not eligible, you can still make a difference by helping out and volunteering at the event.

Give the gift of life next week!