News Briefs

<ong>Alumnus and founder of folk-rock band ‘Boiled in Lead’ to speak and perform

Drew Miller, Carleton College Class of 1981 and founder of the acclaimed folk-rock group Boiled in Lead, will deliver the College’s weekly convocation address on Friday, October 2, 2009, at 10:50 a.m. in the Skinner Memorial Chapel. For over twenty-six years, Miller’s Minneapolis-based band has blurred musical boundaries with its daring fusion of traditional folk, rock, punk, and global influences.

Called a “legendary figure in the field of American folk rock” by World Music Central, Boiled in Lead and its individual musicians have earned over 20 Minnesota Music Awards, and toured extensively throughout the United States and Europe. Riding the crest of a highly acclaimed new album and ever burgeoning global recognition, bass guitarist Miller will discuss the inspiration behind what makes Boiled in Lead one of the most “…innovative world beat bands…”(National Public Radio). The convocation will include both lecture and musical demonstration, and will be followed in the evening by a concert by Boiled in Lead at 7 p.m. in the Concert Hall at Carleton College. Both events are free and open to the public.

Carleton Arboretum sponsors field trip to McKnight Prairie

On Wednesday, October 7 from 5 to 7 p.m. the Carleton College Cowling Arboretum will sponsor a field trip to the Carleton-owned McKnight Prairie.

Participants will have an opportunity to enjoy the brilliant colors of the fall asters and the subtle reds and golds of the prairie grasses in the autumn. McKnight Prairie is a true prairie remnant, having only been lightly grazed and never plowed. Participants will learn about the history of the preservation of this small but important parcel of conservation land. This trip is free and open to the public, but space is limited and reservations are required. Parking is also limited so carpooling to the site will be arranged.

Featured ceramic artist Beth Lo to speak

Beth Lo, ceramic artist and professor of art at the University of Montana, will deliver an artist’s talk on Monday, October 5, 2009, at 7:30 p.m. in the Boliou Hall Auditorium at Carleton College. Lo’s work is featured in the current Carleton Art Gallery exhibit, “In Between: Works by Kelly Connole and Beth Lo.” The lecture, titled “Family, Race, and Culture: Artistic Influences,” will explore the role of Lo’s Chinese-American heritage in the inspiration and production of her artwork. The exhibition features clay “kids” that embody American and Asian stereotypes, while also accentuating the vibrant history of Asian ceramics. The lecture, as well as the exhibit, are free and open to the public.

In addition to her work in ceramics and mixed-media collages, Lo also celebrates, investigates, and satirizes traditional Asian aesthetics such as calligraphy, origami, scrolls, Chinese souvenirs and toys, the game of mahjong, and Socialist Realist artwork.