News Briefs

<an style="font-weight: bold">Experimental Theater Board to present one-act plays

The Experimental Theater Board, a theater company managed entirely by students, will present its annual production of student-written and directed one-act plays at 8 p.m. on Thursday, April 30, Friday, May 1 and Saturday, May 2. The performances, which are free and open to the public, will take place in the Nourse Little Theater, located on the lower level of Carleton’s Nourse Hall.

The production will feature performances of three original plays written, directed and performed entirely by Carleton students:

Volcano, written by sophomore English major Morgan Holmes and directed by freshman Lee Conrads tells the tale of a Pompeian woman who escaped the catastrophic volcanic eruption which destroyed her home, only to find herself in the modern city, attempting to remember how things were before.
    The Blank Slate Experiment is written and directed by first-year student Audrey Carlsen, and described as “a play that questions reality, truth, and the value of ignorance.” The Blank Slate Experiment provides a curious look into the lives of three characters – named A, B, and C – who have lived their entire lives within a single room, without knowledge of the outside world. However, one morning they awake to find that their friend D has vanished, an event that forces them to confront their reality, and make a difficult choice between comfortable ignorance and troubling truths.

The final one-act, The True Tale of Cupid and Psyche, written by senior Chemistry major Jennifer Bigelow and directed by freshman Alex Brewer, is a reinterpretation of the classic Greek myth. Cupid, son of the goddess of love and himself a god, falls in love with Psyche, the ugliest woman he has ever seen.

Nourse Hall is located just off First and Nevada Streets in Northfield. For further information and disability accommodations, contact [email protected].

Award-winning author and critic to appear at Carleton

Teatro del Pueblo, a non-profit Latino theater group based in St. Paul, will perform a short play on Friday, May 8 at 8 p.m. in the Severance Great Hall. Entitled “Help Wanted,” the play depicts a landmark case in which nine Latina workers were fired from the Holiday Inn Express for organizing a workers’ union. The production explores the increasing issue of employers using the threat of deportation to deny undocumented workers basic employment rights. The performance will be primarily in English, with some portions in Spanish, and a discussion with the cast members will follow the show. This event is free and open to the public.

Acclaimed writer and wide-ranging cultural critic Lawrence Weschler will appear Wednesday, May 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Boliou Hall Auditorium on the Carleton College campus. Entitled “Two Giants of Contemporary Art with Conflicting Ideas about How to Best Illuminate Human Perception,”

Weschler’s presentation will focus on Robert Irwin and David Hockney—two artists with long histories of experimentation in human perception. Following Weschler’s lecture, he will sign copies of his books, which will be available for purchase at the event. Weschler’s appearance is free and open to the public.

Weschler’s appearance is made possible with support from the Christopher Light Lectureship Fund, the Carleton Committee for Studies in the Arts and the Carleton Humanities Center. For more information, call the Department of Art and Art History at (507) 222-4341.