News Briefs

<nt-weight: bold">Carleton students to present performance of “Cabaret”

Students at Carleton will kick up their heels with a production of the classic Broadway musical “Cabaret,” premiering Thursday, March 5 at 9:00 p.m. Additional performances are scheduled for Friday, March 6 at 10:00 p.m. and Saturday, March 7 at 9:00 p.m. All performances will be held in the Arena Theater and are free and open to the public.

Set in 1931 Berlin on the eve of the Nazis’ rise to power, “Cabaret” focuses on nightlife at the seedy Kit Kat Club and revolves around the 19-year-old English cabaret performer Sally Bowles and her relationship with young American writer Cliff Bradshaw. The musical’s subplot involves the doomed romance between German boarding house owner Fräulein Schneider and her elderly suitor Herr Schultz, a Jewish fruit vendor. Overseeing the action is the Emcee, who presides as master of ceremonies at the Kit Kat Klub and serves as a constant metaphor for the current state of society in Weimar Germany throughout the show.

The Tony Award-winning musical was first performed on Broadway in 1966, later touring around the globe. The 1972 film adaptation of “Cabaret” was directed by legendary choreographer Bob Fosse and featured Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey.

The Carleton production of “Cabaret” is being presented by the College’s Student Musical Theater group, with direction by Kristine Mackin ’09 (Omaha) and choreography by Lizzie Cross ’11 (Winnetka, Ill.). The cast of fourteen features Adam Hallbeck ’11 (Anoka, Minn.), Laura Stratford ’09 (Belmont, Mass.), David Kornfeld ’11 (Guerneville, Calif.), and Lia Bendix ’11 (Cleveland Heights, Ohio), along with musical accompaniment by an all-student orchestra.

The Arena Theater is located off First Street between Winona and Nevada Streets; parking can be found in campus lots at both First and Winona and First and Nevada. For more information, including disability accommodations, call (507) 222-4471.

Carleton to celebrate trio of Spring Holidays

Carleton invites the community to attend an interfaith celebration of three festive springtime holidays — Jewish Purim, Hindu Holi, and Muslim Mawlid al-Nabi — on Wednesday, March 11 at 5 p.m. in Severance Great Hall. Religious leaders representing the three faiths will speak on the significance of their respective holidays and will lead the appropriate prayers. This will be followed by a dinner with foods representing each of the three religions, along with student-led cultural presentations. The event is free and open to the public.