News Briefs

<an style="font-weight: bold">Carleton to host panel discussion on health and wellness in Northfield

A discussion panel entitled “Who is Northfield?: Issues in Health” will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 24 at noon in Severance Great Hall as part of the ACT Center’s annual Civic Engagement Series. This event is free and open to the public.

Participating panelists include: Mary Crow, Vice President of Operations for the Northfield Hospital; Mary Ho, Director of Public Health for Rice County; Janet Muth, Project Coordinator for Rice County Growing Up Healthy; Sarah Shippy, Program Director for Omada Behavioral Health; and Jennifer Pelletier, music therapist.

The panel, and the broader Civic Engagement Series, is sponsored by the Carleton ACT Center. For further information on this and other ACT Center events, and for disability accommodations, contact [email protected], or call (507) 222-7019.

Carleton service honors Black History Month

Carleton College will celebrate Black History Month with a commemorative chapel service on Sunday, February 22 at 5 p.m. in the Skinner Memorial Chapel, co-sponsored by the Office of the Chaplain and Carleton’s Black Student Alliance (BSA). A soup supper will follow the service. The event is free and open to the public.

For more information and disability accommodations, please contact the Office of the Chaplain at (507) 222-5730.

Expert to speak on Carleton’s adaptation of “The House of the Seven Gables”

Robert S. Levine, professor of English at the University of Maryland, will present a lecture entitled,“Hawthorne’s ‘Dramatic’ ‘The House of the Seven Gables’” on Friday, Feb. 27 at 4 p.m. in Boliou Hall, room 104. Levine’s appearance is in conjunction with the Carleton Players’ production of “The House of the Seven Gables,” premiering Friday, Feb. 20 with subsequent performances on Feb. 21, 27, and 28. This lecture is free and open to the public.

Carleton’s production of “The House of the Seven Gables” is the world premiere of the first-ever dramatization of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s novel. Playwright Barbara Field, who also wrote “A Christmas Carol” for the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, wrote the play adaptation of Hawthorne’s classic novel specifically for Carleton. The play’s composer, Hiram Titus, has also scored many Guthrie productions and Carleton’s production also features set design by Tony Award-winning designer John Arnone.

Levine’s visit is sponsored by the Department of English and the American Studies Program at Carleton. For more information, including disability accommodations, call (507) 222-4322.