News Briefs

<nt-weight: bold">Princeton Review names Carleton “Best Value”

The Princeton Review has named Carleton College as one of the nation’s 50 “Best Value” private colleges and universities. Kiplinger.com also places Carleton seventh on their best value list among private, liberal arts institutions list.

The Princeton Review said, “Want to attend Carleton but not sure if you can swing the payments? Don’t worry—the school has you covered. One hundred percent of students that demonstrate need receive financial aid.”

The Princeton Review’s Best Value list is based on its surveys of administrators and students at more than 650 public and private colleges and universities.

The Kiplinger rankings measure academic quality and affordability, with quality accounting for two-thirds of the total. The magazine started with data on more than 600 private institutions provided by Peterson’s, then added its own reporting.

IM winter sports season begins, introduces new event

This week marked the beginning of Carleton’s Winter IM sports season. Students formed teams and signed up for six different team and individual sports.

Among the sports played during winter are indoor soccer, five on five basketball, floor hockey, a frisbee hat tournament, and one of Carleton’s signature IM sports, broomball.

This term also saw the introduction of a new IM sports event: individual racquetball.

Students could be seen lining the ice rinks on the Bald Spot this week cheering for their broomball teammates or packing the upstairs of an overbooked Rec Center for soccer games as they strove to capture one of Carleton’s coveted IM championships.

President Obama signs executive order closing CIA’s secret prisons

On Thursday President Obama signed an executive order closing the CIA’s secret prisons, banning coercive investigation methods, and promising to close a detention facility at Guantánamo Bay in Cuba within a year.

This move was a decision to reverse Bush administration anti-terror policies in favor of policies that adhere more closely to American ideals, which President Obama stated “give us the strength and moral high ground” to fight terrorism. He further claimed, “We believe we can abide by a rule that says, we don’t torture, but we can effectively obtain the intelligence we need.”