Caught in the Act

<ught in the ACT

The temperatures below zero and snow all around, it is hard to believe that we are in the midst of summer job and internship hunting season. But it’s true. A lot of students want to work in nonprofits over the summer, but many organizations are notorious for only offering low- or non-paying internships. Luckily, Carleton offers a number of grants for students interested in service-related summer projects. I will highlight just two programs that help make nonprofit work possible for everyone, but you can learn more about all the opportunities on the Career Center’s and Dean of the College’s websites.

The Carleton Project 60 places students in nonprofit internships and connects them with alumni mentors for support. Last year’s interns worked in organizations all over the country dealing with topics such as refugee aid, arts administration, early childhood education, and conservation. Project 60 interns receive a stipend of at least $300 each week. Recipients also have the opportunity to participate in an educational seminar series with students from other schools.

Carleton’s Social Justice Internship Program also provides financial support to students pursuing unpaid or low-paying summer internships in nonprofits and other organizations promoting social justice. Suggested ideas include work in human rights, community or union organizing, environmental or social activism, conflict resolution, or community development. Preference will be given to organizations within the United States. The maximum grant is $3000. Unlike Project 60, which is only awarded to freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, the Social Justice Internship is available to graduating seniors as well.

So, if the cold is getting you down, just imagine yourself in a fantastic internship on a hot summer day. The first step towards making it a reality is learning more about the funding you can get through Carleton. Just put in a little research, and working in a nonprofit (and making money) can be an option for you.