News Briefs

<nt-weight: bold">Carleton to honor Martin Luther King Jr. with service

Carleton College will celebrate its annual observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a candlelight service of remembrance and celebration on Monday, Jan. 19 at 7 p.m. in the Skinner Memorial Chapel main sanctuary. The event will feature guest speaker Mary Easter, Rae Schupack Nathan Professor of Dance and the Performing Arts, emerita, as well as musical performances the Northfield Youth Concert Choir and Jamaal Magee ’10 (Chicago). A reception will follow the service. This event is free and open to the public.

The event is co-sponsored by the Northfield Human Rights Commission, who will present its 2009 Human Rights Award to Cherif Keita, Carleton professor of French and Francophone studies, as part of the evening’s celebration. A native of Mali, Keita has published books and articles on both social and literary problems in contemporary Africa. He is the creator of the critically-acclaimed documentary film “Oberlin-Inanda: The Life and Times of John L. Dube,” about the life of the first President of the African National Congress of South Africa and his education in the U.S. at the end of the nineteenth century. Keita has a number of concurrent film projects on American missionaries and missionary education in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.

For more information, including disability accommodations, contact the Carleton College Chaplain’s office at (507) 222-4003.

Carleton invites community to Shabbaton celebration

Carleton College invites the greater community to observe Shabbaton, the traditional expression for a full-day celebration of the Jewish Sabbath, with a special three-part lecture series presented by scholar-in-residence Dr. Mara Benjamin, assistant professor of religion at St. Olaf College. Sponsored by Carleton’s Office of the Chaplain with support from the Jewish Life Fund, the event features complimentary meals and lively discussions about modern Jewish thought. All lectures and meals are free and open to the public; meal reservations are required.

Model UN victorious

The Carleton Model United Nations Team just returned home victorious from its first conference. The conference was held at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. The Carleton delegation, representing the United States of America, took home seven prizes from the four day conference including, most significantly, Best Delegation. The winning Carleton delegation consisted of students Jon Fraser ‘10, Peter Ladner ‘10, Helen Waller ‘11, Brooke Davis ‘11, Dan Rath ‘11, Peter Schlesinger ‘12, Danny Chen ‘12, and Casey Markenson ‘12. For six of these students, it was their first time competing in Model United Nations.