Caught in the ACT

<udest, and most unforgettable social event of the year is going on this weekend…Saturday Night Live! It’s a two-hour dance, open gym, and pool party for 500 middle schoolers.

Saturday Night Live is run entirely by volunteers and needs Carleton students to take tickets, sell drinks, monitor the gym, and of course, chaperone the dance. Volunteers can come for an hour or stay from 6:30 to 9:30 to set up and clean up. Come get an early start to your Saturday night fun. The event will be held at the Northfield Middle School and transportation is available. The middle schoolers are excited about the DJ, swimming, Dominos pizza, and dance party. You should be too!

Saturday Night Live is a program run by the Middle School Youth Center, a free, drop-in program where middle schoolers can do sports, crafts, games, and homework with Carleton volunteers. The kids are fun and love getting to know college students. Anyone interested in Saturday Night Live or the Middle School Youth Center can contact Allie Sterling (e-mail sterlina) for more information.

The following weekend features another festive and fun volunteer event, Trick-or-treat for Canned Goods. Students will go door-to-door collecting cans for the Northfield Community Action Center Food Shelf.

Last year, volunteers collected over 4,000 pounds of food in four hours. This project is sponsored by Mortar Board and is a perfect opportunity to connect with your inner child and the Northfield community. Form a team or sign up on your own by the end of the day on Friday, October 24th. Trick-or-treating will take place from 4-8 p.m. on Friday, October 31st, just one week away.

Happy Halloween from the ACT Center!