News Briefs

<ong>Carleton Symphony Band to give “Lord of the Rings” concert

The Carleton College Symphony Band, under the direction of Ronald Rodman, will present their spring concert on Friday, May 23 at 8 p.m. in the Carleton College Concert Hall. The event is free and open to the public.

The program will feature the “Lord of the Rings” Symphony No. 1 by Dutch composer Johan De Meij, a five-movement work composed from 1984-1988. Each of the five movements depicts a character or setting from Tolkien’s best-selling literary trilogy, including Gandalf, Lothlórien, Gollum, Journey in the Dark, and Hobbits. Other works to be performed are “Blue Shades” by Frank Ticheli, featuring Stephanie Dirksen, a senior music major, on clarinet. Also in the repertoire will be Percy Grainger’s “Shepherd’s Hey,” which he discovered in the folk-song collection of musicologist Cecil Sharp who had heard the violinist of the Bidford Morris Dancers play the merry tune in 1906.

The Carleton College Concert Hall is located on First Street East between Winona and Nevada Streets in Northfield. For more information and disability accommodations, call the Carleton College music department at (507) 222-4347.

Actress, writer and comedienne Deb Filler to appear at Carleton

Actress, writer and comedienne Deb Filler will present a film adaptation of her acclaimed one-woman play “Punch Me in the Stomach” at Carleton College on Tuesday, May 20 at 7 p.m. in Leighton Hall, room 304, on the Carleton campus. Following the screening, Filler will lead a discussion of the film. The event is free and the public is invited to attend.

This event is sponsored by the Carleton College Distinguished Women Visitors Committee and the Committee for Studies in the Arts. For more information, including disability accommodations, call (507) 222-5240.

Carleton College to present cult classic “The Rocky Horror Show”

The Carleton College Student Musical Theater group would like to take you on a strange journey, inviting you to give yourself over to absolute pleasure as they present Richard O’Brien’s cult classic, “The Rocky Horror Show.” The production runs from May 28 through May 31 at 8 p.m. each night in the Carleton College Little Nourse Theater. A special midnight performance, for which no reservations will be taken, will also be presented on Friday, May 30. Though the production is not intended for all audiences, all performances are free and open to the public.

The Nourse Little Theatre is located on the north end of the basement of Nourse Hall, near the intersection of First Street and Nevada Street. For reservations, more information or disability accommodations, contact [email protected].

Jessica Alba and Cash Warren marry, expecting baby soon

Jessica Alba and Cash Warren have tied the knot, reports say. A representative for Alba confirmed that the couple were married on Monday. Alba and Warren, who are also expecting their first child together, announced they were engaged in late December. According to reports, Cash proposed around Christmas.

The couple’s child is due in late spring.