News Briefs

<ong>Carleton Players give weekend showings of “Romeo and Juliet”

The Carleton College Players will present “The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet” by William Shakespeare at 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, May 9 and 10, and again Friday and Saturday, May 16 and 17. The performances, which will take place in Arena Theater on the Carleton campus, are free and open to the public but reservations are recommended.

The unique production features Jessica Brooks ‘09, Marlene Edelstein ‘11, Jared Evans ‘10, Stephanie Guerrero ‘11, Eric Hitimana ‘11, Kristen Johnson ‘10, Chase Kimball ‘10, Seth Lin ‘08, Tadayoshi Littleton ‘11 and Ebun Odeneye ‘08. “Romeo and Juliet” is the Carleton Players’ spring production. The Players is a main stage, faculty-run theater group that produces one major play each term.

The Carleton College Arena Theater has limited disability accessibility. For more information or disability accommodations, call the Arena Theater office at (507) 222-4531. For reservations, call the Carleton Players reservation line at (507) 222-4471.

Carleton Jazz Ensemble and Guitar Combo to present concert

The Carleton Jazz Ensemble and Guitar Combo, under the direction of David Singley, will present their spring concert on Friday, May 9 at 8 p.m. in the Concert Hall. The concert will feature guest artist and Carleton instructor in jazz piano Laura Caviani. The event is free and open to the public.

The Jazz Ensemble will be performing works from a variety of jazz styles, from Benny Golson’s swing standard “Killer Joe” to the ballad “Lament” by J.J. Johnson, to the funk tune “Take the Time” arranged by Les Hooper. The program also includes a pair of charts composed Caviani.

The concert is sponsored by the Carleton College Department of Music.The Concert Hall is located near First Street and Winona Street. For more information, including disability accommodations, call (507) 222-4475.

Liv Tyler divorces rocker husband

Liv Tyler has reportedly separated from her husband, British rock star Royston Langdon, after five years of marriage. “Liv Tyler and Royston Langdon have confirmed their separation,” a rep for the actress said. “They remain good friends and devoted parents to their son Milo and are requesting that their family’s privacy be respected at this time.