Women’s swimming wins Carleton Mini-Invite

<rleton College women’s swim team defeated College of St. Benedict at the Carleton Mini Invite. Kale Zicafoose ‘11 won two individual and two relay races, while Kate Alexander ‘10 was first to the wall in three events plus a relay in leading the Knights to a 822-680 team victory.

Carleton began the afternoon in fine fashion winning the first five events and establishing a pair of new Thorpe Pool records.

The first mark to fall came in the 200 medley relay. The four-some of Zicafoose, Mia Zutz’10, Kaarin Taylor ‘09 and Karin Brown ‘08 recorded a time of 1:52.08.

Shortly thereafter, Zicafoose broke her own pool record in the 100 backstroke. In the process, she posted a NCAA provisional “B cut” time of 59.43. She later added a first-place finish in the 200 backstroke.

Taylor returned to the water and led a 1-2-3 finish for Carleton in the 200 butterfly. She won the 100 butterfly by nearly four seconds with a time of 1:02.69.

Kate Alexander finished first in the 100 breaststroke with a season-best time of 1:08.27, nearly three seconds ahead of Zutz. Using the same stroke, Alexander then won the 200-yard race in 2:28.27. She concluded her day with the victory in the 400 IM, posting a time of 4:41.01.

Her sister Becky Alexander ‘09 won the 100 freestyle with a time of 55.68. The Alexanders paired with Brown and Zicafoose to win the 800 freestyle relay.

Other event winners for Carleton include Brown, who was first to the wall in the 500 freestyle (5:28.55), and Lauren Knoche ‘09, who recorded a 13-second victory in the 1650 freestyle.

The Knights travel to St. Cloud, Minn. for their next meet today before returning home for a dual-meet tomorrow with Gustavus Adolphus College. Competition begins at 11 am.