How to (try to) reajust to Carleton academia after OCS

<ntrary to popular belief, off-campus programs are not necessarily easier than a term at Carleton. At least that was the case for me when I went on a non-Carleton OCS program this fall. The key word is different. The senses of pace and structure cannot even compare to those of Carleton. I am currently going through a period of culture shock being back on campus. Here are some strategies I’ve picked up, with quite a variation in how effective they are.

1. Remember being a first-year and how stressed you were when classes began after New Student Week? Try to remember those early techniques, like when you took notes more thoroughly than you ever could now.

2. While reading that Ed Studies book, daydream about that wonderful day you spent wandering and dancing around Wadi Rum Desert. The fun memory may or may not keep you going.

3. Take a study break and post an inside joke in your OCS program’s group Snapchat. Mine is called “Alaska.Rocks.My.Socks.” The reasoning behind that name is a long story that I will tell you at some point when I’m procrastinating and you are in my vicinity.

4. Practice sitting in a traditional desk. I don’t know about you, but seating in classes on my program ranged from muddy grass to stadium-style chairs. It can be hard to be comfortably seated now, especially when you are the only lefty in the class and someone else steals the lefty seat from you.

5. Ask yourself over and over again, “What is the purpose of my education?” The answer can vary a lot based on the day.