Batting to base: Tsutsui surpasses hit record

Wednesday March 25th, Catcher Hayden Tsutsui ’16 of Carleton’s baseball team broke record career hits for Carleton College in a game against Oberlin College in Tuscan, Arizona.

“The guys told me in the dugout that I broke the record, and I laughed because I thought they were joking (We joke around a lot). Nonetheless, it means a lot.” Said Tsutsui.

Tsutsui gained hits of 161 surpassing Russ Fujisawa’s ’10 accumulated 160 hits of his career and also exceeding Fujisawa for the highest recorded player in Carleton College’s team history.

“Right now, we’re playing good baseball, and I hope that we continue to play for each other. When I see my teammates and coaches giving their best effort, it bolsters me to do the same; it gets contagious. Everyone’s itching to contribute, and I look forward to seeing how we’re playing more games down the road.”

With a career batting average mark at .459, Tsutsui’s outstanding performance also landed him MIAC Player-of-the-Week.

“It’s been a lot of fun coaching Hayden for the past three years as our team keeps getting better,” said Head Coach Aaron Rushing. “I’m looking forward to how the rest of the year is going to play out.”

“All I want to do is help the team win to the best of my ability, and I think having that team mentality first makes individual accomplishments less important,” Said Tsutsui.

This week Carleton will go against Saint John’s University at Collegeville, Minn. (Saint John’s Field).

“We want to win a championship. We’ve had to deal with distractions all year, but I think that one thing we continue to focus on is baseball and picking each other up. No doubt we still have a lot to fix– we know this much and are hungry to fix them… I don’t have any records I want to break. The only goal I have is winning the MIAC.”