Sayles M&M’s: a plastic wrapped fued

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 8">

Sayles most perplexing item, (excluding the ‘dirty chai latte) the $3.50 bags of M&M’s have returned. Realizing the demand for a widely available candy in a unspecified quantity at an overstated price, Sayles now appears to once again be selling the popular candy. Dispensed from an industrial sized container, the unspecified amounts of M&Ms are sold for the high price $3.50. Just how many M&M’s the bags contain is a mystery. Not

even those who work at Sayles seem to know. One answer was that they where 6oz, while another respondent gave an estimate of between 3 and 3.5 oz.

In terms of M&M’s bought this is a large markup for Sayles .The bookstore sells 5.3 oz bags for 2.69 and smaller 3.14 bags for 1.99. Surely this seems to be a much more comic way of purchasing the candy-covered chocolate. Students could even buy much larger quantities such as a 42 oz bag for $9.79 at target. However this requires students to take the bus to target, to which one student replied, “enough said.” However, this smaller portion may have some marginal
benefits. Devouring the 5 oz bag feels more grotesque than the Sayles bag – here the lack of specific serving size allows one to enjoy an unspecified amount of chocolate, while deluding one’s self into thinking it is a small amount. Students with an insatiable appetite for M&M’s can acquire gargantuan amounts at Target or Econofoods. Yet, for most students the appetite for M&M’s does not reach a level high enough to necessitatea trip to those stores.

The other benefit of the Sayles M&M’s is that one can acquire the popular snack late into the night. Yes there are peanut M&M’s but what if you are allergic to nuts or don’t want peanut M&M’s then you will have to do without. For most of winter term, the M&M have been conspicuously absent. If their return is permanent, some Carleton students may find justification for such an un-economical behavior. As some students seek to spend their remaining dining dollars by the end of term, the combination of high cost and sugar content may be invaluable in the days ahead. After all, finals period has a habit of encouraging rather poor decisions.